Saturday, February 24, 2018

Frequently Missed Deductions

Moving Expense for First Job

Twitter Facebook Linkedin Linkedin Google

Follow on Facebook

Best Accountants in Atlanta
Cut your taxes with these year-end moves

Nov 21, 2011 IRS Tips — If you made a list of things to accomplish by the end of the year, would "review taxes" appear? If not, add the item and put it toward the top. You could save hundreds, even thousands, of dollars on your tax return with these simple tips.

Start by estimating your taxes. Tax preparation solutions make estimating your federal and state taxes easy. One of the leading solutions, TaxACT, releases its products in early October for free use.


An early estimate will reveal where there's still potential for savings. Specifically, look for tax breaks scheduled to expire at the end of 2011. You'll also see the impact of the latest tax law changes on your return. You may discover tax breaks you claimed last year have expired, changed amounts or have different qualifications. Conversely, new tax breaks may be available that require action by Dec. 31.

Knowing the approximate amount you'll be refunded or owe ahead of time may influence your year-end spending. If you expect a large refund, you can begin planning how to invest that money. If you have a balance due, make a payment now or adjust your withholding through the end of the year so you owe less at tax time.

Next, consider making these timely money-saving moves.

  • Give charitably to IRS-approved organizations if you itemize deductions. Whether you donate cash, clothing or household items, save your gift receipts. Use the fair market value to determine the deductible value of your non-cash donations.
  • Some energy-efficient home improvements made before Dec. 31, 2011, qualify for tax credits. Visit for information.
  • If you (not your mortgage company) pay your own real estate taxes, consider pre-paying taxes due early 2012 by Dec. 31 so you can deduct them on your federal return.
  • Make your January mortgage payment by Dec. 31 to increase your mortgage interest deduction. If your mortgage interest statement does not reflect your pre-Jan. 1 payment, deduct the correct amount on your tax return and submit a statement explaining the difference between your deduction amount and the lender's statement.
  • Contribute the maximum allowed amounts to your 401(k) or 403(b) retirement plans.
  • Convert your traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. The gross income cap for who can convert has been removed.
  • Defer income like year-end bonuses and stock options until Jan. 1, 2012 to decrease your taxable income for 2011.
  • If you own stocks with big losses, consider selling them in order to offset taxes on gains.
  • If your state offers 529 College Savings Plans, your contribution could be deductible.
  • Pay your spring college tuition now if you haven't yet reached the Tuition & Fees Deduction $4,000 maximum.

Clients Feedback

"Nicholas is an extremely skilled accountant. He knows just how to guide his clients in the most advantageous ways and is adept at dealing with the IRS. He is highly respected. I recommend him highly."


- Robert B. Anderson, Alpharetta, GA


You can find what our others are saying about Atlanta Tax & Accounting HERE!

Home Tax News Economic Stimulus Plans 2009 Cut your taxes with these year-end moves
Snellville 1099MISC Help, Flowery Branch 1099MISC Help, Sandy Springs 1099MISC Help, Fulton 1099MISC Help, Gwinnett 1099MISC Help,
View all articles
Atlanta cpa, cpa Atlanta, Roswell cpa, Atlanta accounting, Lawrenceville cpa, accounting Atlanta, Alpharetta cpa, Lawrenceville accounting, Marietta cpa.
Norcross accounting, cpa Marietta, Norcross cpa, Roswell accounting, cpa Norcross, cpa Cumming, Decatur cpa, cpa Lawrenceville.
Copyright © 2018. CPA Taxation. Web Design & SEO Plans
by Nicholas Trishin